As with any Active Trans event, your safety is our priority. We know this a first time bike race for many of our participants and we are thrilled to have you out with us! We want you to ride safe while enjoying the experience, start to finish. Please use the following safety resources to help prepare for the first Kickstand Classic.
Preparing for the Ride
What do I need to ride? Just a bike you feel comfortable on, a helmet that fits, a water bottle, and a can-do attitude!
- Make sure to stretch your hips after any bike ride.
- Eat well a few days prior to Kickstand Classic and remember to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
- Do the A-B-C Quick Check on your bike a day or two before
- Do a good stretch set the night before, and in the morning before you ride
- Eat a small, protein packed breakfast the morning of the race
- Give yourself ample time to warm up
Training and Cycling Clubs
Recognize your limits and know when to take a breather. You can learn more about what your body can handle by properly training. Consider joining one of the many beginner to advanced ride groups and meetups throughout the region, getting together with friends, or riding on your own!
Chicago Cycling Club – Monday Training Ride: Intro to Training Rides
Spider Monkey Cycling – Weekend beginner and intermediate, Tuesday night ladies only
Windy City Cycling Club – LGBT+ cycling club. Beginner-advanced group rides
The Chainlink- Various group cycling themed groups
Course Instructions and Rules
-Drafting is not allowed. the penalty is disqualification.
-Maintain a safe distance from other cyclists.
-Pass on the outside. Slower traffic keep inside.
Proceeds benefit the nonprofit Active Transportation Alliance. Learn more about our work to make bicycling safer and more convenient throughout the Chicagoland Region.